Monday, January 3, 2011

A New Year, A Same Life

There's an imaginary line between 12/31/10 and 1/1/11.
Folks think that it's the, "Vegas," moment. What happened in 2010 happens in 2010. Try telling that to the couple having a baby in 2011. What about the one who lost his or her job in 2010. There are unresolved arguments and disputes that crossed that, "sacred," start-finish line. Memories abound, especially for those who believe that what happens in Vegas line.
What has the last year held for you, and what did you give to it? I believe that all of us have been given gifts and challenges during the last 365 days, and done great, good, and not so good things during the same period of time. How have you triumphed and fallen? Stumbled and sprinted?
Life happened during 2010, it was still happening when we woke up January 1, 2011.
After crossing that make believe border between '10 and '11, I needed to write a list to remind my selfish self of what a year brought me:

Sleeping in on the first day of 2010
coffee
breakfast
lunch
nap
dinner....
football games
baseball season
saying goodbye to an amazing congregation in Lubbock
learning to quit being arrogant all the time
seeing my Caitlin act and sing
meeting a new amazing church in Mesquite
learning not to like living in hotels
living in the home of a couple who have the gift of hospitality
discovering how good it feels to not be sick
lunches with new, old, and older friends
country music
TV
newly and formerly read good books
realizing how much I love Taco Villa and Orlandos
remembering how much I love El Fenix, Glorias, and Luby's
recalling how much running hurts when you love stupid restaurants
seeing generosity beyond belief
Dallas traffic...(wait, that's a different list for 2010, never mind.)
Dallas heat...(MAN!!! Sorry again, different list)
deodorant
finding a new dry cleaner
figuring out where to get my hair cut
Mesquite Barbecue
running more food off my widening self
a new home
a staff at church that took care of the new self appointed village idiot, namely: Rochelle, Carla, Betty, Eileen, Amy, David, and Rocky
getting past what may be the most disastrous Sunday service ever to be lead by said village idiot
counting my many friends that called to check in
my Mom and Dad who spent the last weeks with my wife and kids before they headed East
meeting my family at the Chicken Express down the road to lead them down Ranch Road when after a few months away, and our first night together and watching the kids run upstairs to their new bedrooms smiling ear to ear
Seeing Connor play football at SMU and at the American Airlines Center and watching him on the jumbotron in the stadiums
getting to be with Chrissy and her family as we said goodbye and honored my Father-In-Law Lynn at his heavenly homecoming
Not completely sawing off my leg with lawn equipment
spending Thanksgiving with the Chrissy's family, and Christmas with Chrissy's Mom and Step-Dad
Families Names like: Honey, Dad, Uncle Clint, Aunt Chrissy, Mom, Ami, Granddaddy, Grandpaw, Granny, Papaw, Aunt Melissa, Aunt Rachel, Aunt Vallie, Uncle David, Uncle Cody, Uncle Brian...
Seeing my grandmothers, Manna and Nannye
Knowing I've been loved more than I deserve, with the chance to love back just as hard.

At the end of my list I know something. You can pull out of one driveway, pull into another, and the One who was standing with my loved ones while I drove away, was waiting when I drove into the new driveway.

Then I realized, God was with me in the whole journey, as He was with you.

As always, I have no idea what tomorrow holds, but I know He holds tomorrow.

I just have to believe that God looked at me many times in the past year and thought as a friend once wrote to me in my bible:

"Hey Bonehead! Remember God loves you!"

Yes He does.

It's a new year, but the same life and no matter what tomorrow holds it's a good life. He's already there.

Postscript:
I originally posted the following words on New Years Eve, but Used Toy Store showed no post. The post showed up today. I share the first draft with you as well showing an unnatural devotion to TV, food, family, and well, food. No wonder Chrissy bought me a new suit last week.

2010 Thanks for...

Pork rinds on long road trips
pickled sausages on long road trips
long runs to run off above said crap I ate in the last year
a church I loved and will always love
a church I love and will always love
my guitar when I was alone
TV
Luby's
Taco Villa
watching Connor play football
watching Caitlin sing
not being able to completely saw off my leg with a hedge trimmer
sleep
my new friends, my old friends, and those who are so crusty they help saw off my rough edges
the books I've read this year
El Fenix
Not being arrested ever
ESPN Sports Center
Waffle House
Must again mention running so as to make sure Waffle House doesn't own me
The day my family showed up to our new home in Forney
My Truck and my dog Sammye
My cool office chair
Air conditioning!!!
Listening to my kids laugh
Thanksgiving with the the Doyle's and Moore's
Seeing my parents come to our home for Christmas evening
Seeing my brother David and his wife Melissa bring their kiddos, James and Sam to Forney to see us
My greatest blessings, my family.

Did I mention pork rinds? Oh, yeah I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment