Monday, February 1, 2010

Callings

Over the past 15 years I've preached hundreds of sermons, and there is one thing that irritates me more than critiques of my sermons, it is when they are quoted back to me. It is almost always appropriate when I'm reminded that my words and actions don't equate, and always so when my wife is the one reminding me.
She reminded me yesterday of words that I've spoken more than once:
"If you'll read the Bible closely you'll notice that when God calls someone, the hearers life usually becomes more confusing, complicated, challenging, but even more so, blessed."

I sat at the lunch table with my wife trying to distract myself with a cheeseburger and fries after announcing to the congregation that I love dearly that I was leaving for another ministry position. I was chewing, thinking, mourning, chewing, (it was a good burger, but I digress) when the thought leaped into my consciousness.

"I'm insane!" I blurted out to Chrissy.
"We've known that for some time haven't we honey?"
"No, seriously, I feel like I'm crazy. I just announced to a congregation that I love, and a congregation that loves us and takes care of us that we're leaving. Leaving FOR THE UNKNOWN!" I answered.

That's when it happened. She quoted my sermon. She reminded me that when God calls, we can't ignore the call, no matter how hard we try.

I think of Abram's call to leave everything familiar to him, uproot his family and head toward the land God said He would show him. Insanity!

What about Moses' call to lead a group of whining, complaining, grumbling people who would rather be enslaved than follow. Why didn't he come to his senses and refuse.

I know that the Prophets were popular for their messages. Didn't the Prophets know that no one should talk about religion and politics?

The 12 disciples come to mind when you wonder why someone would leave steady income to follow a homeless preacher.

I can't leave out Jesus' mother Mary, who upon saying to God, "May it be to me as you have said," surely dealt with judgmental family, a blaming public, and humiliating stares of those who thought she had done something wrong. Why did she say, "yes?"

And so it is as I begin the process of saying goodbye to a church family I know and love dearly that I must remember my own words. Westmont I love you, I always will, and there's nothing you can do to stop me.

Now it's time to head to the land that God will show me.

3 comments:

  1. Eastridge Park Christian Church in Mesquite, Texas... Where are you going?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a wonderful, inspiring, and thought provoking blog. Keep it going

    ReplyDelete