Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Writing with a fountain pen

Someone recently asked me at a meeting why I always carry a fountain pen with me. I hadn't ever really thought about the motivation for liking antiquated writing equipment, but, as my mind works I spent the next 27.4 hours trying to figure out why I carry a fountain pen in my shirt pocket. I don't really know, I only have a theory which is how I tend to live life. They're old school.

Old school is comfortable and easy unless you consider that I've ruined two or three expensive dress shirts with the old-school writing instrument since it tends to leak. The fountain pen is sexy, but high-maintenance. I wonder why I love my fountain pens?

I've decided that it's because they're relics from a previous day. They're familiar. I love the familiar, because it's so, well...familiar. I recently wrote an entire sermon on an old typewriter that I found just so that I could hear the sound while I wrote, and it was everything I thought it would be, except for the typos, white-out, and the confused looks of others who don't get how, "deep," it is to like the feel and sound of old office equipment. It took me back to days listening to others typing in rhythm that seem so amazingly quick and efficient.

I pulled an Atari video game system from our church garage sale a few years ago just to play the games and remember. My children told me how, "lame," the games were, but, they were like visiting an old friend. It's absolutely mind-blowing to think that I would spend time playing games that seem like absolute idiocy now.

I like to watch TV-Land on satellite television and remember old sitcoms I've seen so many times that I can quote them much to the dismay of my family. "Sit UBU sit...Good Dog...Woof Woof. Sha' lalala." If you don't get it, I can't help you.

I like paper and pen, old movies on Turner Classic Movie Channel, Mayberry, Funny movies that I've laughed at again and again, my favorite fly-rod, my lucky jeans that fit differently every time I wear them, my old hunting hat, many books read and dog-eared with notes in the margin, old country and western music, and The Dukes of Hazzard. Why? Because there's no surprises to deal with.

The problem with the statement above is that surprises sometimes must be dealt with, but, many times they should be embraced, tackled to the ground, and owned!

No comments:

Post a Comment