Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Tux and Lola

My family has a couple of animals that we, "rescued," this past summer. I remember when people would get an animal from the pound, but now, we're much more heroic people I suppose as we, "rescue," unwanted animals. Our Golden Retriever Sammie wasn't thrilled to meet the new family members, but, we've since all made a family pact and we all get along.

The new family members are a black and white kitten we named, "Tux," and one of the goofiest looking dogs that I have ever seen that my family is assured is a Black Labrador Retriever we've named, "Lola." Lola is not a Lab, she's a mutt, so I've decided on a compromise. I call Lola's breed, "Labracadabra." (Translated from the Latin meaning, "You magically turned a Non-Lab into a Lab in your minds.)

Tux is incorrigible. I guess that since he wears a tuxedo each day he feels that he can do whatever, whenever, and wherever he wants. The problem is that he chose the one person in the family who is not a, "cat person," to be his person. That is me. Tux wants to be where I am always. He has actually sent a nonsensical email from my laptop by pouncing on it on the dinner table. Tux talks to me all of the time even when I beg him to be quiet. Tux, as cats do, owns me. He sleeps on my head, not my choice. He even watched football with me which was our bonding time I would suppose.

Tux is fearless. I've found him atop our refrigerator just to be there. I've witnessed him intimidating our 109 pound Retriever. Tux would look at me before scratching more furninture. I even caught Tux hanging from the top of a door jamb just to do it. Tux has no fear, but, plenty of love.

Lola's a different story. We don't know her story, but, we're sure she was abused badly as a small puppy. When she came home, she was afraid of ALL men, most adults, and her own shadow. She would glue herself to my wife or the kiddo's when I came into the room. I would give her treats, pet her gently, I even shared my popcorn with her during a movie. Eventually she began to warm up to me. Lola apparently got Tux's share of fear. Once I walked her and she tried to run from a Chihuahua. She has a big bark, but not a big bite. She loves to sit with me much more easily now. She's still a fearful soul, with plenty of love.

Tux and Lola have taught me a great deal about myself and life:

-Sometimes I'm an incorrigible and fearless rascal, ready for the next adventure. God loves me still.
-Other times I'm a fearful one who doesn't trust the next moment, and God walks with me, His rod and staff comfort me.

Each morning I see Tux and Lola. Each day I feed them. Each day they receive a stroke from me. They've never bought their own food, filled their own bowl, cleaned up after themselves, nor understood from where their sustenance comes. But they see me fill the bowl, they feel my hand, and to them, I must hold a special place.

Each morning God sees me. Each day He feeds me, speaks to me, I feel His hand, He cleans up after me, and although I sometimes forget from Whom my blessings flow. I know that my cup overflows, I feel God's hand, and God has given me a special place in His heart and in His eternal home.


No comments:

Post a Comment