Sunday, March 14, 2010

Red At The Top

I was finishing a wedding rehearsal. I was out of town. I was in a prayer circle with the families of the Bride and Groom as we prepared to eat a great rehearsal dinner. I planned to head back to the hotel, turn on ESPN, turn down the A/C to 32 degrees, cover up and doze off.

But, life happens.

During the prayer circle my phone kept buzzing. I tried to be patient, but during prayer I checked out mentally, wondering why my phone was buzzing off my belt. Finally the, "Amen," was spoken and I excused myself to see what was happening. I opened my phone and saw that I had three voice mails.

Hmmm. That's odd. Everyone knows I'm out of town. I listened to the first message:

In an urgent voice I heard a close friend say, "Clint, call me. Call me. Soon."

My heart started to race. I knew the tone of the call was not a congratulatory one. It was an emergency call. Calls two and three were the same. Call me. I immediately started trying to return calls as the two families were chatting merrily in the background. Busy signals infuriate me, but never so much as that evening. I couldn't get in touch with anyone.

Finally, a call was answered. It was a very close friend and the chairman of our church board of directors.

"Hey Clint." came the unusually curt answer.
"What's wrong Marc?"
"There's been an accident, and,"
"Marc, is my family alright?" I asked, terrified to hear the answer.
"I don't know. What I know is that Chrissy and Connor are en route to the hospital, and they're trying to get Caitlin out of the car." Marc answered.
"Is everyone alive?" I asked my most desperate question ever.
"I think so."

I think so?!?! What in the world kind of answer is that? I immediately felt a rush of adrenaline. My head started to get light, I started to sweat, my legs felt like they were made of jello. I walked in somewhat of a daze to the chatting families and said that I had to go back to Lubbock. My family was in a serious car accident and things sounded bad. At that I headed to my pickup, put the key in the ignition and said one of those short prayers filled with meaning, "God help us!"

I started my truck and peeled out of a parking lot for the first time since I was in high school. I pulled onto the interstate and found out that a Ford F-150 can easily reach 120 miles per hour. My phone was buzzing over and over, but, I couldn't answer and drive a race truck at the same time. I prayed. I cried. I realized after a short time that 115 was a more responsible speed to allow someone to answer the phone.

When I reached the hospital I saw tons of church family, school teachers, friends, and family. I didn't care. I wanted to see my family. After seeing them all. Touching them all. Kissing each one on the head. I sat down in an empty ER space and said another short prayer in tears. "Thank you God."

When I got my family home I saw one of the most loving displays of all. In order for you to understand I must give a bit of back story. When my son was a baby, he used to wrestle with his baby blanket sometimes before he would settle down and we never understood why. Later, when he was a toddler we realized that just like his father he has this desire for things to always be the same. He wanted the red end of the blanket on top and the blue end of the blanket over his feet. Ahhh...finally we got it.

After Chrissy came home and was recovering from surgery I told Connor to make sure and be quiet so his Mom could rest. So I watched closely as I saw him sneak past the living room where I was working on my laptop. He was being quiet so I let him continue. I noticed something in his hand that looked like his, "blankie." He quietly opened our creaky bedroom door and tip-toed into the room. After about a minute, I saw him sneak out and tip-toe back toward his bedroom.

I stood to check on Chrissy, see if she needed more pain medicine, and find out what happened. When I walked in I saw my wife laying on our bed. Tears in her eyes, covered with Blankie. Red end at the top, blue end over her feet, tucked in just like we tucked him in bed.
For the first time in days, Chrissy's eyes weren't wet because of pain, but love. I asked what happened and I was told that Connor had come in, gently covered up his mother, and whispered, "Mom, you need blankie right now more than me, but when you're better I need him back."

Tears filled my eyes as I hugged my wife. She said, "OUCH! That hurt."

Sorry.

You need to know that just as that blanket was a gift of comfort, when we comfort one another, we receive comfort back in our time of need. So make sure you cover those who need to be covered. Red at the top reminding us of Christ who was, is , and always will be. Blue at the bottom reminding us that, "this too shall pass."

Who knew a child of mine would be so theologically brilliant? I should have. I know his Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment