Sunday, April 4, 2010

A Day to Remember

Days of remembrance can be filled with terror, anxiety, happiness, sadness, joy, or even brokenness. Today was such a day. I think perhaps I may have owned all of those sentiments. I stood in a new pulpit, as a new pastor for the first time in over ten years. I haven't sweat that much since my last workout, in full football pads! I was surprised, even humbled, but filled with a desire to take care of business in a way to honor God and His Church.

I stood in a pulpit graced for over three decades by a great man, Dan Carroll, who was, is, and always will be truly loved and respected. Brother Dan as his congregation called him is obviously a man filled with love for his fellow man as well as his flock. To spend over 30 years loyally serving a congregation, burying loved ones, marrying friends, baptizing, counseling, studying, sharing, and caring is a massive task.

I know what it feels like to love a group of amazing people, making up God's church for only a third of that time, and my heart is filled with aching and loss. I love the congregation to whom I said goodbye, and those who know me, know that love is not a word that I use without meaning. Moving on to a new land, a new people, and a new adventure was a frightening prospect, But I walk with God, His rod and His staff comforting me.

I thought that the Easter celebration began with a task soaked with terror, anxiety, happiness, sadness, joy, brokenness, and blood. The empty tomb began with a whip, a crown of thorns, a cross, thieves, screaming, taunting, hate, violence, and the love of a servant Savior. The end result was the glory of God!

I pray that in the years to come, knowing that I now have four congregations that I call family, I will take a strong hold of the realm of emotion for the glory of God, to honor my servant Savior and Lord. Christ is risen, He is risen indeed!

He'll be risen tomorrow as well. He was, He is, He is to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment