Thursday, April 15, 2010

Homeless Batman

My son Connor dressed as Batman for Halloween when he was three years old. Then he dressed in the same Batman suit for the next two years. EVERY DAY! He wore his cowboy boots, bat man suit, and drove his battery operated Harley up and down the street.

When I couldn't find him once, I was asked by a neighborhood kid, "Hey, you batman's dad?"

"Yes, where IS batman?"

He was at the park...which when you're 4 it's completely acceptable to drive a mini-battery powered Harley across three intersections to get to the park so you can play on monkey bars and swing. Why? Because you're wearing a worn out supersuit! Looking like the homeless version of a super hero. The shield of invincibility.

You and I all wear worn-out supersuits with shields of invincibility. Unlike my son, who wore his with pride, we hide behind them. We teach our kids to color inside the lines, then they grow up. They put away those real life super suits, and pick up baggage.

I say it's time to whistle the, "Andy Griffith Show," theme song, put on our grown-up super suit, color outside of the lines, and put down the bags. Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment